creating fat 'thin' clients with ltsp

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 14 11:01:13 GMT 2008

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.02.2008, 16:06 -0500 schrieb Jim Kronebusch:

> I am wondering if there is any reason one couldn't install a workstation as normal,
> tweak things, then copy the workstation directories over to the server into
> /opt/ltsp/lf_i386?  I think this is how it is recommended to build a PPC client tree, so
> I don't see why this wouldn't work.  If this is possible, would anyone care to provide
> instructions as to the best way to do this?
you will need teh ltsp initramfs ... and there are a good bunch of
settings in a normal install that will just break if you try to run it
on ltsp (readahead will cause a kernel oops for example if you use it on
a stacked filesystem, apparmor will cause kernel opps on stacked FS as
well ... etc etc) best to create a fat chroot is to start off by what
ltsp-build-client gives you and then add the desktop to it ... your
mileage will vary here i would promote such a setup if i knew it would
work out of the box ;) but the possibility that you run into additional
(and unknown) breakage like the above described one is very likely ...

as i said in another mail, once you have the app selection ready and
working its only a matter of copying the .img file around ... the chroot
itself only exists for maintenance (or for people who insist on using
nfs indeed)

in any case it would be very helpful to get a list with all breakage
that shows up if yu try to run ubuntu-desktop on a fat client setup so i
could work it down to have all of them fixed at some point :)

ciao
	oli