Bringing 3D Game Design To Kids

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 22:33:59 GMT 2008

Hi Mike,

what you do with your creations is entirely up to you.  However, I have
some comments below.

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008, Platinum Arts wrote:

> Do you have any suggestions for commonly known licenses?  I care about two
> main things.  First if our content is being used in other projects (non
> sandbox) that they ask us for permission and give us proper credit.  So if
> someone made a game based on Sandbox, which would make it a fork really,
> just to be sure to ask us for any content they use and give us credit.  The
> main reason is so that I can make sure copyrights are protected and that it
> helps spread the word about Sandbox.

I'm sure you can find an "open source" license pre-made which will match up
with these wishes.  It might be worth looking at the range of creative
commons ones and possibly some of the open source licenses (as opposed to
the free software ones).

http://www.opensource.org/
http://www.gnu.org/
http://creativecommons.org/

If you wanted your software to be considered "Free Software" in the GPL
sense (that which Ubuntu considers free), you would need to relax some of
the above.  GPL software needs to be forkable, without proper credit.  That
may seem hard to fathom, but this is an argument that has been had by
countless people over a very long period of time (the most high profile,
recent argument is perhaps the one between the XFree86 guys and the "GPL"
people which included almost every linux distribution).

http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

One of the main freedoms associated with free software is the freedom to
fork.  Not everyone wants to give up that freedom and of course that's your
choice.

> The second is that if someone makes a cool game based on Sandbox let us
> be able to use that code to help improve Sandbox as well.  It looks like
> my wordings aren't the best in my license, and I'm also not a lawyer
> either.  Let me know if you have any ideas on a license that would work
> well.  Thanks for your time and help.  Take care

If I understand correctly, the GPL says that if you distribute a piece of
software like a library under the GPL and someone else links against it, if
they make changes to your software, they'll have to distribute those
changes under the GPL too, so you will get back their improvements to your
software.  If their software is statically linked against yours they must
distribute their software under the GPL too.

Again, your work is just that, and you can license it how you want.  Just
think about the effect of the restrictions you place on your work.  The
more restrictions, the less likely it'll be used.