request for some help with performance and sound

Patrick McKnight pem at alumni.nd.edu
Tue Feb 5 19:50:23 GMT 2008

Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry about excluding relevant information.

I am using 7.10 (Gutsy) now.  The install is the AMD64 version on my server
and I boot off a i386 image for my clients.

With respect to the drivers and kernel, yes, I suppose the via driver
changed from the Dapper ltsp install to the Gutsy Edubuntu ltsp install.  I
would not expect the driver to account for the extreme difference but
perhaps that is the case.

On Feb 5, 2008 2:13 PM, Richard Doyle <rdoyle at islandnetworks.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 13:42 -0500, Patrick McKnight wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am new to Edubuntu but not new to linux (using exclusively since
> > 1996).   Recently, I installed Edubuntu in my research lab.
> Which version?
>
> > The install was a replacement for an Ubuntu (Dapper) setup with LTSP
> > that was working OK but tended to crash a fair bit.  I thought an
> > upgrade was in order so I moved ahead.  Perhaps my move was a bit in
> > haste since many of the features that were working before no longer
> > work.  Two features, in particular, are causing me headaches.  Can
> > anyone out there offer some advice on the following?
> >
> > 1.  Video performance.  I have 5 clients hooked up to a Gb switch that
> > goes directly to an exclusive NIC on my dual cpu, dual core server (8
> > GB of RAM, 80 GB SATA drive, no RAID).  The clients are all PXE thin
> > clients with 512 MB of RAM and via chipsets (most likely they are EPIA
> > boards in tiny cases, I just never looked inside).  The video
> > performance on my thin clients is atrocious.  I feel like I have gone
> > back to Windows 2.0 on a 286 - yes, that slow.  I literally see the
> > screen painted before my eyes.  Running anything like VMware or
> > Win4Lin is out of the question.  So I ask, what might be the hangup?
> >
> > Network?  I figure the network connection is fine.
> >
> > Server?  The server CPU and RAM are fine but the disk is definitely
> > slow.  That should not make a difference on one test client, or should
> > it?
> >
> > Clients?  Not likely.  They ran just fine before.
> But aren't they using a different driver now, since you are using a
> newer kernel?
>
> Were you using the xorg driver for the via chipset in both cases?
>

> > Edubuntu setup?  Perhaps.  But I am not sure how to tune the
> > performance.
> >
> > 2.  Sound.  Sound does not work.  I know to enable sound I need to
> > enable sound in the lts.conf file.  I have already done that.  Is
> > there another step that I am missing?  Perhaps software that is not
> > installed by default.  I tried everything.  From installing esound,
> > pulseaudio, etc. to messing around with my asound.conf file.  The thin
> > client just refuses to see any sound driver or daemon.
> >
> > Any help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.  I need to
> > get these thin clients back up and running so my students can resume
> > their work (for me).  Thanks greatly in advance for any pointers.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Patrick

Cheers,