booting thin clients and firestarter

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 00:26:48 GMT 2008

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008, DB Clinton wrote:

> For my three desktop boxes, I'm booting through a floppy (courtesy of
> rom-o-matic). I also have a Compaq laptop that I use to test - that boots
> through it's own BIOS network boot and looks a bit different from the
> client side. It appears to take an IP address (192.168.0.246) and then:
> PXE E11 ARP Timeout PXE E38 TFTP cannot open connection
> PXE M0F
> before giving up and moving on to Windows.

That's interesting -- an arp failure suggests the client is trying to
contact a machine but there is no response to the layer 2 arp request,
suggesting the ip address it's looking for is not up.  Perhaps you might
try uncommenting the next-server directive in /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf, making
sure it points at your thin client server.  Then restart dhcpd with

	sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

and reboot your thin client.