booting thin clients and firestarter

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:23:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008, DB Clinton wrote:

> My perfectly working thin-client network was brought down after I installed
> Firestarter. Even after a complete uninstall of Firestarter, I am unable to
> even ping between boxes – although syslog on the server clearly sees,
> recognizes the MAC addresses and even offers ip addresses to the other
> boxes:

> I'm about ready to give up on this experiment. Any ideas?

If the problem coincides with firestarter being installed, it seems likely
that firewall rules are in place stopping some aspects of the thin client
boot process (eg tftp, nbd, etc.).

Could you give us the output of the following command:

	sudo iptables --list

Presumably some remnant of the package is still causing issues.  Looking at
the contents of the firestarter package, are any of these files still
present on the system?

	/etc/network/if-up.d/50firestarter
	/etc/network/if-down.d/50firestarter
	/usr/sbin/firestarter