Hardy A4

Charles Austin ceaustin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 02:41:31 GMT 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 11:56 AM,  <rmcdaniel at indata.us> wrote:
> I downloaded A4 alternate CD and installed in text mode. I have a
> Gateway m285-e tablet pc. After installation, the system boots to
> "Running local boot scripts(/etc/rc.local) and then hangs. If I perform
> a "ctrl-alt-del" , "Stopping Gnome Display Manager" comes up and then
> the system shuts down. I am not sure what is hanging it up. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Instead of trying ctrl-alt-del, try to find out if mingetty is
starting by using ctrl-alt-F1.  If mingetty started, you should be
greeted with a console interface that will either be prompting you for
a login, or will be displaying boot-up messages.

There should be 6 different consoles that start (F1 through F6).  If
the system is not completing the boot, and you can get to a console,
you can review the dmesg file to see what is happening as the system
boots.  The command is "sudo less /var/log/dmesg".  A lot of it is
cryptic, but the last 15 or 20 lines should give some indication of
the problem.

Hope that helps,
Charles