School in Swindon considering going Linux!

John Ingleby john at coronet.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 11:54:44 GMT 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 22:06:22 +1000
> From: Mike <mdurhamesq at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: School in Swindon considering going Linux!
> Cc: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Dermot Mc Laughlin wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have only recently subscribed to this list and have been impressed
> > with the level of support that it has provided. I am the head of
> > Business Studies and ICT at Greendown Community school in Swindon and
> > I'm also charged with ICT Strategic Management. I'm new to the job and
> > have a little bit of Linux experience. I have talked to the schools
> > senior leaders and the network manager here and people are certainly
> > interested in the school clients/servers being switched to open source
> > (for cost reasons initially). In fact, I'm slowly introducing the idea
> > to staff and students already.
> >
> > The network manager and I would love to come by to meet up with people
> > on this list to discuss feasibility. Can you let me know when the next
> > such event is happening? We would need a fair bit of help getting
> > ourselves skilled up and we would be regular posters on this list.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Dermot Mc Laughlin

Dermot,

I invite you to look over the Schoolforge-UK website at

http://www.schoolforge.org.uk

and join the SF-UK discussion list

http://groups.google.com/group/sf-uk-discuss

On the website you'll see there is a FLOSSIE conference (Free, Libre and
Open Source Software In Education) being organised in Birmingham (UK) on
12th-13th February 2009, which will be *the* place to meet teachers and
IT staff from UK schools using FLOSS.

Look forward to meeting you!

John Ingleby
ICT Teacher