edubuntu-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 22

David Ally david_ally at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 13:58:34 BST 2008


Hi All,

I'm glad this type of effort is coming to the fore, and i'm willing to participate in the gathering of all these bits and pieces into a single place for reference purposes. I can participate in this effort as assigned by more knowledgeable members of the list, so i await any assignment.

Regards!

David



----- Original Message ----
From: "edubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com" <edubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com>
To: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 12:00:02 PM
Subject: edubuntu-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 22

Send edubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
    edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    edubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com

You can reach the person managing the list at
    edubuntu-users-owner at lists.ubuntu.com

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of edubuntu-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. how do you get something to run when a user logs on? (john)
   2. Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
      (Oliver Grawert)
   3. how do you kill a user's old processes when they try to log
      back on (Todd O'Bryan)
   4. Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
      (francois)
   5. Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on? (john)
   6. Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
      (David Van Assche)
   7. Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
      (Uwe Geercken)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:03:19 -0700
From: john <lists.john at gmail.com>
Subject: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: "Edubuntu Users Group" <edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Message-ID:
    <2be970b50808280803i5e08a962s212a958aa289d454 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi all,

I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?

Thanks!

John



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:27:13 +0200
From: Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Message-ID: <1219937233.7362.14.camel at osiris>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

hi,
On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart

ciao
    oli
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/attachments/20080828/9f8deb3c/attachment-0001.pgp 

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:30:53 -0400
From: "Todd O'Bryan" <toddobryan at gmail.com>
Subject: how do you kill a user's old processes when they try to log
    back on
To: "Edubuntu Users Group" <edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Message-ID:
    <904774730808280930q5c31448bp8a4f589bf07d47fc at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

My students often manage to lock up the terminal, usually as a result of the
pixmap bug in Firefox and OpenOffice that has been much discussed. When that
happens, they have to power down and restart the client.

But when they try to log back in, their login stalls, because their old
processes are hanging around. Last year I stuck some command somewhere to
automatically kill all running processes when a user logs on, but I can't
remember what it was, where I put it, and I stupidly reinstalled over the
old system without making a backup.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Todd
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/attachments/20080828/45a44c9a/attachment-0001.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:07:01 +0200
From: francois <francois.barillon at free.fr>
Subject: Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Message-ID: <1219954022.9982.5.camel at baribuntu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Le jeudi 28 ao?t 2008 ? 08:03 -0700, john a ?crit :
> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?

I think that the profile read by ltsp client comes from :
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/profile

but as ltsp 5 uses a squashfs image, you have to run :

sudo ltsp-update-image

if any /opt/ltsp/ file is modified.

(I used this to change the UMASK to 022 to give read/write abilities to
users in the same group).

Hope this will help...

Fran?ois




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:33:06 -0700
From: john <lists.john at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: "Oliver Grawert" <ogra at ubuntu.com>
Cc: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Message-ID:
    <2be970b50808281533r6ab0705g785cd0b765f24d9c at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi oli,

Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
hearing it.

Thanks!

John

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>
> ciao
>        oli
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:24:44 +0200
From: "David Van Assche" <dvanassche at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: john <lists.john at gmail.com>,     "Edubuntu Users Group"
    <edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
Message-ID:
    <8cc423ef0808282224q6eeeb227q4740c857d1bb6c9f at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

In reality, there has been no move away from the  standard practices
you describe below. The difference is that we often forget that the
/etc/profile and .../PostLogin are really being read from the user's
chroot (/opt/ltsp/<name-of-chroot>/etc/profile) and that these then
need to be rebuilt using the ltsp-update-image command....

It would be wonderful for more documentation on all this stuff, there
is much that gets taken for granted by ltsp experts but just leaves
most newbies clueless... LTSP is not so logical in what it does until
you understand the entire framework, and I don't believe that even
THAT isn't documented anywhere... I've volunteered to re/write some of
edubuntu classroom handbook by writing this email of course... if
anyone wants to join in, we should coordinate.... I've started by
ripping restructuring so that it becomes an LTSP handbook and not a
edubuntu handbook since most LTSP is the same, and only certain
elements are ubuntu specific (btw.... someone should really tell the
canonical corps to get rid of the edubuntu brand name as it does
nothing now but create confusion.) It doesn't exist as a distro as do
xubuntu and geubuntu and kubuntu... it needs to be restructured
somehow cause I bet its just confusing the hell out of people... I
would love for someone that works with canonical to explain to me,
what edubuntu means to them :-) and please dont say: Its the 2nd CD
with all the educactional software.)

David

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM, john <lists.john at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi oli,
>
> Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
> from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
> hearing it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> hi,
>> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
>> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
>> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
>> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>>
>> ciao
>>        oli
>>
>> --
>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>
>>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:08:57 +0200
From: Uwe Geercken <uwe.geercken at datamelt.com>
Subject: Re: how do you get something to run when a user logs on?
To: edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Message-ID: <20080829080857.s4s1q13r0gsskwcw at webmail.datamelt.com>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset=ISO-8859-1;    DelSp="Yes";
    format="flowed"

David,

I agree. I am doing classroom seessions once a week in our local  
school for about a year now and tend to forget things when I don't  
need them regularly. my server runs well so I haven't touch him for a  
while.

I have surfed the net to collect little bits on how to tweak ltsp or  
how to get around problems. it would be nice to have this all  
documented and a real good overview of ltsp as you indicated.

if you and others do that, I would volunteer to help and to translate  
to german. to have things in one place would be really helpful.

rgds,

uwe


Quoting David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>:

> In reality, there has been no move away from the  standard practices
> you describe below. The difference is that we often forget that the
> /etc/profile and .../PostLogin are really being read from the user's
> chroot (/opt/ltsp/<name-of-chroot>/etc/profile) and that these then
> need to be rebuilt using the ltsp-update-image command....
>
> It would be wonderful for more documentation on all this stuff, there
> is much that gets taken for granted by ltsp experts but just leaves
> most newbies clueless... LTSP is not so logical in what it does until
> you understand the entire framework, and I don't believe that even
> THAT isn't documented anywhere... I've volunteered to re/write some of
> edubuntu classroom handbook by writing this email of course... if
> anyone wants to join in, we should coordinate.... I've started by
> ripping restructuring so that it becomes an LTSP handbook and not a
> edubuntu handbook since most LTSP is the same, and only certain
> elements are ubuntu specific (btw.... someone should really tell the
> canonical corps to get rid of the edubuntu brand name as it does
> nothing now but create confusion.) It doesn't exist as a distro as do
> xubuntu and geubuntu and kubuntu... it needs to be restructured
> somehow cause I bet its just confusing the hell out of people... I
> would love for someone that works with canonical to explain to me,
> what edubuntu means to them :-) and please dont say: Its the 2nd CD
> with all the educactional software.)
>
> David
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM, john <lists.john at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi oli,
>>
>> Thanks again for this approach. Is there a story behind the move away
>> from using /etc/profile and /etc/gdm/PostLogin? I'd be interested in
>> hearing it.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> On Do, 2008-08-28 at 08:03 -0700, john wrote:
>>>> Hi all,
>>>>
>>>> I was wondering where I can put scripts that I want to run when a user
>>>> logs on to a thin client. I used to put them in /etc/profile but that
>>>> doesn't seem to work under Hardy. It seems like LDM is somehow
>>>> by-passing the stuff I put there. Can someone help me out?
>>> ldm is executing /etc/X11/Xsession by default ... (like gdm or kdm do)
>>> one option would be to put stuff into /etc/X11/Xsession.d, another is to
>>> use the xdg autostart mechanism in /etc/xdg/autostart
>>>
>>> ciao
>>>        oli
>>>
>>> --
>>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>>> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:  
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> edubuntu-users mailing list
>> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:  
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:  
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>





------------------------------

-- 
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users


End of edubuntu-users Digest, Vol 27, Issue 22
**********************************************



      
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/attachments/20080831/2e619adf/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the edubuntu-users mailing list