how do you get something to run when a user logs on?

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 06:24:44 BST 2008

In reality, there has been no move away from the  standard practices
you describe below. The difference is that we often forget that the
/etc/profile and .../PostLogin are really being read from the user's
chroot (/opt/ltsp/<name-of-chroot>/etc/profile) and that these then
need to be rebuilt using the ltsp-update-image command....

It would be wonderful for more documentation on all this stuff, there
is much that gets taken for granted by ltsp experts but just leaves
most newbies clueless... LTSP is not so logical in what it does until
you understand the entire framework, and I don't believe that even
THAT isn't documented anywhere... I've volunteered to re/write some of
edubuntu classroom handbook by writing this email of course... if
anyone wants to join in, we should coordinate.... I've started by
ripping restructuring so that it becomes an LTSP handbook and not a
edubuntu handbook since most LTSP is the same, and only certain
elements are ubuntu specific (btw.... someone should really tell the
canonical corps to get rid of the edubuntu brand name as it does
nothing now but create confusion.) It doesn't exist as a distro as do
xubuntu and geubuntu and kubuntu... it needs to be restructured
somehow cause I bet its just confusing the hell out of people... I
would love for someone that works with canonical to explain to me,
what edubuntu means to them :-) and please dont say: Its the 2nd CD
with all the educactional software.)

David