how do you kill a user's old processes when they try to log back on

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:30:53 BST 2008

My students often manage to lock up the terminal, usually as a result of the
pixmap bug in Firefox and OpenOffice that has been much discussed. When that
happens, they have to power down and restart the client.

But when they try to log back in, their login stalls, because their old
processes are hanging around. Last year I stuck some command somewhere to
automatically kill all running processes when a user logs on, but I can't
remember what it was, where I put it, and I stupidly reinstalled over the
old system without making a backup.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Todd