Edubuntu Remote Desktop Issue

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:42:47 BST 2008

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008, randy.baker at rogers.com wrote:

> Last weekend, I had to move the physical VMware server to its original
> location, and everything was shutdown gracefully, including all VM's.
> When I powered back up, I could no longer connect the the Edubuntu
> workstations, and I cannot find any way to get them to work now.
> According to the RealVNC website, the error I am receiving is related to
> the VNC server wanting to secure the session.  The free version of VNC
> viewer does not encrypt the session, and for this testing, encryption is
> not required.
>
> Since I could not find any firewall or configuration issue preventing
> access, and having made certain all three Edubuntu workstations did not
> have the "Require Encryption" check box enabled, I created a new Edubuntu
> VM.  Here are the results.
>
> 1: Installed Ubuntu Workstation 9 2.6.24-19-generic
> ** Windows based VNC Clients work with this configuration.
> 2: Installed Edubuntu add-in, no reboot
> ** Windows based  VNC Clients work with this configuration.
> 3: Rebooted Edubuntu Workstation
> ** Windows based  VNC Clients DO NOT work with this configuration.
> 4: Fully patched (107 files downloaded)
> ** Windows based VNC Clients DO NOT work with this configuration.
>
> I have even tried the original fix of checking then unchecking the
> "Require Encryption" advanced option.

You say Windows-based VNC clients don't work.  Do Linux-based VNC clients
work?  It wouldn't be a solution, but it might be useful to help understand
the problem.  Also, have you tried any other windows-based VNC clients?

Have you tried manually starting the vino vnc server from the command line?
There's some interesting stuff here on how to control vino a little better:

You could also (as a workaround), try installing vnc4server and starting it
from the command line.  That might help get you going.