Hardy - AMD64 server and i386 thin clients

operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 27 08:43:30 BST 2008

hi Paul,

i tried this and failed miserably - it delayed my successful install for at least 3 months.  it wasn't until i learned my amd64 h/w server allowed me to install the i386 version of edubuntu that it all came together nicely.  my guess is the difference is negligible since most programs aren't coded for 64-bit, unless you want to have more than 4 gigs of ram.

you have to deal with all the, "oh, that howto doesn't work, since it is for i386, and there are no 64-bit howto" issues.  my friend had non stop printer problems where i386 setup howtos were plentiful, but not amd64 setup howtos.

of course, your needs and point of view may differ, i'm just offering up my 2 cents.

oe1