formatting hard disk..what do I not know?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:15:25 BST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jayson Rowe wrote:

> I do not think it would be remotely possible to fit even a basic Ubuntu
> Server install on a 500MB root partition - I could see maybe a small
> 50MB-200-MB /boot partition but that's too small for / in this day and age
> IMHO

Of course it would be possible -- presuming you made separate partitions
for way /usr and /var which it sounds like he probably intended doing.

Even ignoring that though, 19GB would be an outrageous minimum size for a
root partition.  It's not like this is vista.  A bug in the install CD
(which should ideally be reported on launchpad.net) sounds like the best
explanation to me.

As someone else said, "advanced" installation, for people who have specific
requirements, are best done with the -alternate- CD which will give you the
"hole hawg" experience you crave (including LVM and software RAID if you so
desire).  In fairness to the developers, this apparent bug aside, the live
CD installer is created to have relatively few choices with newbies in mind
and I think that's a laudable goal.