Thin client login problem: password accepted, but no desktop (while working on the server itself)

Bob Wooden rewdn at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 8 01:24:30 BST 2008

I have experienced this with our LTSP on Ubuntu Gutsy machine at work as
well as my Ubuntu Gutsy machine at home (no LTSP there.)

Check contents of /tmp directory.  I remove all with sudo rm -rf * .

Now, because the * wildcard made me tense, the first time I did it, I
ran  rm -rf *.[extension-found].  Deleted one extension at a time to
confirm I did not mess things up.  What I experienced was that I needed
to empty the /tmp directory to fix the login issue.  Hence, I ended up
at sudo rm -rf *  and that worked for me.  (And I just did that command
a few minutes ago and it worked fine.)

Good luck.