2nd Attempt at Setting Up Lab

John Ingleby john at coronet.co.uk
Sat Apr 5 12:53:03 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 12:00 +0100,
edubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 02:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: <operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: 2nd Attempt at Setting Up Lab
>
> hi all,
>
> i bought a server to convert a bunch of pii 200mhz machines into
>  edubuntu terminals at my kid's school.  however, i didn't quite
>  understand the complexity of using intel based terminals and an amd64
>  dual core server.  long story short - they wouldn't connect.  this is
>  likely due to my lack of wizardry, however, i'm not trying to be a
>  dual architecture, work through incompatibilities wizard, i'm trying
>  to set up a lab that kids will find useful.
>
> so, it is on to plan b.  i want to swap out the main board on the
>  server and go with an intel cpu.  are there any "gotchas" i can avoid
>  by picking the right motherboard and cpu?  do intel 64 bit cpus pose a
>  problem?
>
> thanks for sharing your insight and experience.

Hi Oel,

Did you get Edubuntu server running on the amd64 server? Even if your
Edubuntu server installed OK, it's very likely your PII machines will
need some attention to get them to connect.

In any case, it's worth studying the Edubuntu Handbook, particularly the
section on LTSP thin client hardware requirements and methods of
connection:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/server-hw.html

Hope this helps,

John