edubuntu ltsp not pretty

Jay Perez jperez1 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 28 05:14:51 BST 2007

Dr. Sameer,

I had my Edubuntu server and clients all set up and working beautifully except I also had the problem that the PCs could not get out to the Internet when they were booted up in Windows.

You say this can be resolved by setting up port-forwarding on the Edubuntu server ???  If I can get this to work that would be great !

Can you please tell me where to find info on how to do this ?

Thanks.

Jay Perez
Rochester, NY

-- Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
Ross Armstrong wrote:
> I have installed Edubuntu 7.04 and 6.06 both install quite nicely, but
> neither show all LTSP services running, and both won't allow any
> client connections.  In fact, the client will not get a DHCP address.
>
> (I did boot the client in to XP and set the IP to the same range as
> the client NIC, and I could ping the edubuntu server - all
> connectivity is good).
>
> (I did use a boot ROM and did get an IP from a different LTSP server -
> so the ROM is good too.)
>
> ltspadmin on 6.06.1 shows all services running except Xdmcp, which is
> not installed.  And it doesn't want to install in either version.
>
> Any input would be great.
>

> Thanks
>
> --
> Ross Armstrong
>
> Know where you're going or you won't know when you've arrived
Ross,
We did an install of Edubuntu 7.04 a few days ago. The clients PXEboot
without any setup. When I boot the clients into Windows XP, I get
addresses, but the internal NIC on the server does not forward to the
external NIC. You'll have to do that by setting up forwarding on the
server. When the clients boot up in PXEBoot mode, the apps all run off
the server, so routing to the outside is not a problem.

Hope this helps.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.