TuxMath Freezing my thin clients

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:07:55 BST 2007

I too had the same issue, though more programs than just tuxmath were
running. In any case, the program was using 99% CPU and caused the entire
server to freeze leaving all terminals unusable until I killed the process
from the server directly... I've been lucky enough to not have any issues
regarding freezes until 3 days ago. Somehow, something I installed has now
caused freezes on a daily basis, where the entire server locks up and
responds 10-15 minutes later. Since I'm not always at the school, I've shown
the teachers to look at the process and memory usage and document what's
causing it, though I have a feeling it must be Microsoft office running
through wine. When looking at memory usage, it uses 10 times more than
openoffice. This is significant enough I believe, to cause the server
freeze.

I've tested running fat clients over ldap+samba for about 3 weeks now, and
it seems to work fine, except with wireless clients, where its a no go.
Logging in takes several minutes and profiles get corrupted easily. The only
option I see is wiring everything up, which is the way it should have been
done from day one.

Regards,
David Van Assche