Firefox Granparadiso + Patch and tweak

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Sep 20 17:02:50 BST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:24:21 +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
>
> > Fair enough.  Could this be modified to monitor OpenOffice and Firefox
> > specifically?
>
> I think you may have missed the point a little.
>
> Firefox hands huge amounts of data (over the network) to the X Server to
> store for it.  Therefore it is the X server whose ram usage grows.  Firefox
> doesn't run on the thin client at all so it doesn't directly consume RAM on
> it.
>
> Jim's thin client ulimit can only apply to unix processes on the thin
> client, ie the X server process.

I'm apparently just a little slow lately :-)

I tried the echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory on the client, no affect.  I thought
it was doing something until I remembered to turn of the X_RAMPERC option, after that
the client was allowed to freeze again.  Oh well.

Jim