Firefox Granparadiso + Patch and tweak

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Sep 20 15:48:16 BST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 07:42:20 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote
> Gavin,
>
> Great stuff.  Thanks for getting the info and summarizing it.
>
> This all leads me to believe that the Xclient applications just need to
> behave better than they do.
>
> Firefox loads up a page from a website.  Each image on the page gets
> sent to the Xserver in anticipation of being needed soon.  Even if the
> user never scrolls the page down to the point where the images are
> exposed.  Also, if you are on a page, and you click a link on the page,
> the images from the first page stay in the Xserver, with the
> anticipation that you might click the Back-button and return to the page.
>
> It sounds like the patch from Federico helps this.  Although I haven't
> had a chance to look at it yet, to see how it does this.
>
> Have we gotten the attention from anyone in the Firefox world to help us
> out?
>
> Maybe we could have a meeting about this at UDS in Boston.

I think a discussion on pixmap usage in general and its effect on thin client and low
ram systems would be an excellent topic.  My opinion is that X's inability to
communicate with the Xclients on how much memory is available and how much can be used
is a huge flaw and any discussion can only lead to something good.  If nothing else
hopefully Ubuntu in general can know this is something they should pay attention to.

Firefox and OpenOffice are the big hitters.  I have not looked to OpenOffice at all yet,
maybe I can start bombarding their mailing lists next week :-)

I am wondering about your patch (or is it Scott's?) to implement X_RAMPERC.  This looks
at general RAM usage right?  Could it be modified, or could a second X_PIXMAP be used to
monitor pixmap storage?  The suggestion to monitor usage with xrestop from the xorg list
and build that into something made me wonder if this would work.

I start upgrading my clients tomorrow with 512MB sticks, I'll post the results after a
few days testing as to whether or not that clears up my problems.

Jim