Keyboard mapping issue when running via X in Mac OS X

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Thu Sep 20 04:19:06 BST 2007

Hi,

Interesting issue and I'm not sure how to deal with it.  I have a lab of
Macs running OS X (10.4) that I use an "x  -query" command from within Mac
OS X to run Edubuntu on the Mac desktop as a session via X11.  I do this
for times when I have to vacate my own lab due to testing or
something...and still need to access the Edubuntu server and apps....in
particular KTouch Typing Tutor for my keyboarding students.  Here's the
issue....when logging in...the keyboard maps fine, but once we are in
Gnome...the keyboard is all frigged up.  Backspace types commas...."t"
types "w" and so forth.  Hence, obviously KTouch doesn't work as the
letters never match the keyboard.  This tells me it's a Gnome issue as the
keyboard mappings work fine when logging in.  I'd like to solve this as
our NWEA testing is tying up my lab for a few weeks, thus I need to still
be able to do my keyboarding class in the other lab....the Mac lab.  Any
ideas?

Had it working last year, but the difference this year is I'm running
Edubuntu on the server now.  (just in case this makes a difference)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org