tips for Opera users

john lists.john at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:54:46 BST 2007

I am really starting to like Opera. REALLY starting to like the
ability to globally config stuff. In fact I may not go back to FF.
Here's what I've added to the

/etc/opera6.fixed file so far:

; Put any settings here that are not overridable by users

[User Prefs]
Home URL=http://google.com
#always start at home page
Startup Type=2

#set printer to user Letter Size rather than A4
[Printer]
PageSize=2

#customize Save settings
[Saved Settings]

Open Dir=/home/$USER/Desktop
Save Dir=/home/$USER/Desktop

#disable bit torrent
[BitTorrent]
Enable=0

#clear cache
[Clear Private Data Dialog]
CheckFlags=128

#another way to clear cache?
[Disk Cache]
Empty On Exit=1

[State]
Accept License=1

#customizations I haven't tried yet
[Install]
#Custom Bookmark Merge File=

The last customization I haven't tried yet, but I am really excited by
the idea of being able to source a bookmarks file globally and have it
work for all users. This would be a real boon for our librarian who
could just edit a list flat file and have all of her website/learning
recommendations immediately available to all kids.

Plus there's a kiosk mode which I haven't explored yet. Does firefox
have anything similar to this global config file? It's really
powerful.

John