System ram requirements for LTSP

Kai Wüstermann k.wuestermann at gmx.de
Sat Sep 15 16:10:06 BST 2007

Moin David!

Am Samstag, den 15.09.2007, 13:41 +0200 schrieb David Van Assche:
>    I understand that 128mb per client is needed from the server, but
> what if the thin clients have ram themselves? Is there any way to
> utilise that, or is it completely ignored? I ask because our thin
> clients are all laptops with 512 mb ram.

Your thin clients only do the video output. They use something about
128mb not more.

If you want to use more memory of the client you must run programs using
much ram locally. But this needs a lot of administration. Documentation
for ltsp-4.x:
http://ltsp.mirrors.tds.net/pub/ltsp/docs/ltsp-4.1-en.html#AEN1683

You also can use the laptops as fat clients but this is not supported by
edubuntu.

Kai Wüstermann