Fw: Re: OpenOffice insert graphics, print and sometimes save=frozen client

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 15 11:07:14 BST 2007

hi,
Am Freitag, den 14.09.2007, 17:16 -0400 schrieb Shawn Iverson:
> I'm running HT over here and am not having any issues with OpenOffice
> and graphics (yet).  There may be something to this.  I'm running 7.04
> on the following:
>
> Dell Poweredge 2650 400 MHz FSB
> 2 x 2.8GHz Xeons with HT enabled
> 4 Gigs of RAM
> Onboard Broadcom LAN
>
> I'm running 60 clients off of this server, so I have a very heavy load.

you definately dont have enough ram ...
quoting from the edubuntu CD cover (i think its in the edubuntu handbook
as well anywhere):

"The default classrom server installation requires at least 2.5GB of
disk space, a CPU of at least 1GHzand 256MB of RAM
*** plus an additional 128MB of RAM per thin client *** ... "

this is a very conservative number though, but for a fully fledged
modern desktop, be it KDE or GNOME with usage of openoffice and firefox
you should plan at least 100MB of server RAM per running user/session (a
xubuntu desktop might save a small bit here ... that will likely need
around 80-90MB)

ciao
	oli