yo are not allowed access to the system configuration

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 15 10:55:47 BST 2007

hi,
Am Freitag, den 14.09.2007, 23:28 -0400 schrieb Bill Moss:
> The message occurs when I use <system><administration><users and groups>
> or any other system-tools-backends.
> The error started for no apparent reason.
>
> I edited '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/system-tools-backends.conf' to make sure
> that all users were not blocked and even added an entry for my normal
> user logon and one for the admin group and another for the adm group.
thats a very bad idea, dont edit that file its for internal use in dbus
and has the exactly right settings.

> I made sure (/etc/group) that my logon was a member of the groups adm
> and admin.
the group adm is there for getting access to the logfiles it has no
further administrative use

> I made certain that /etc/sudoers contained %admin and %adm  ALL=(ALL)
> ALL entries (sudo works fine, BTW).
by default all users created with teh default desktop profile are in the
adm group, you shouldnt use this group in /etc/sudoers at all. also dont
touch that file without teh visudo command, it performs the various
tests to make sure your entries didnt render the system unmaintainable
through breaking the sudo config

> I checked the menu that drives the operation and all entries are
> proceeded by 'gksu'.
what happens if you run "sudo users-admin" in a terminal ?

> All needed files are owned by root with the suid bit set.
??? which files and why ?

first of all its not really clear what you want to achieve with the
above. to me it looks like you want access to the users-admin for
everyone, if thats the case, make sure to revert *all* changes you did
and make a proper entry in /etc/sudoers ("man sudoers" should have all
information you need for that) by using visudo.

ciao
	oli