Supplying Debug Info in Case of Failure

Denis Melnikov dmelnik at regent.ru
Fri Sep 14 10:05:26 BST 2007

I just resend the following message by Scott Balneaves
with subject changed to make it more searchable for general case.

If people want these problems fixed, they're going to have to start giving
us DETAILED information.  We've already got Jim's website thing, we know what's
causing that, but in this whole thread, all we've got to go on is that
it's "less stable" than something else.

That doesn't give me anything to go on, at all.

Here's what we need:

a COMPLETE description of your server, including:
Motherboard type/model number
Amount of memory
video card in server
output of lspci -vv

A COMPLETE description of your network, including:
brands of switches used
10/100/1000?
etc.

a COMPLETE description of your thin clients, including:
Motherboard type/model number
Amount of memory
video card in client
output of lspci -vv

listing of your lts.conf file, if any
listing of your .xsession-errors
any relevent output from dmesg, /var/log

and, if a program crashes, locks up, etc:

What steps you can take to make it fail
if a document/website/email/attachment etc
causes the failure, a copy of that sent to one of the developers.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."