Feisty: x_mode does it works?

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Thu Sep 13 17:40:38 BST 2007

On Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:26 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 11.09.2007, 13:06 -0400 schrieb Shawn Iverson:
> >  my colleagues figured out that you could copy a screen
> %gconf.xml to
> > /etc/skel/.gconf/desktop/gnome/screen/default/0/%gconf.xml
> thats a pretty ugly way of doing it(especially since that
> will only work for newly created users), rather add a system
> wide override file to /usr/share/gconf/defaults/ (see the
> 20-edubuntu file as example for the
> content)

Just out of curiosity, what do I drop in the /usr/share/gconf/defaults?
It doesn't appear that I can simply copy the %gconf.xml there.

It seems that I have to do a little reverse engineering to make that
happen.  Is this similar to what I should end up having?  It doesn't
seem I can use the simple entries as shown in 20-edubuntu file.

/usr/share/gconf/defaults/90-resolution:

<gconfentryfile>
  <entrylist base="/desktop/gnome/screen/default/0">
    <entry>
      <key rate>
        <value>
          <int>60</int>
        </value>
      </key>
    </entry>
    <entry>
      <key resolution>
        <value>
          <string>1024x768</string>
        </value>
      </key>
    </entry>
  </entrylist>
</gconfentryfile>

Does this mean I have to create a schema file too?