Photo printing and shared bookmarks?

Miles Berry mberry at bcs.org
Wed Sep 12 11:44:49 BST 2007

I'm delighted to say our 18 station thin client network is working very well
indeed. One dual quad-core machine with 4GB of RAM (although only 3.2GB show
up...), 18 old PCs that the senior school here would have been throwing out,
18 second hand flat screens, and we have a great facility here for 1:1
access for our classes. Many thanks to all involved.

Couple of things we'd like to sort out:

Printing multiple photos - our previous operating system had a nifty
photo-printing wizard, using gthumb image viewer provides the right tool,
but the printer (Xerox Phaser) doesn't produce any output. Found a
work-round by printing to pdf and then printing the pdf, but this is a bit
complex for novice users. Any thoughts?

Is there any way to share a bookmark folder across all users' firefox
profiles? I'd like to set this up so all staff can create bookmarks and all
pupils access the shared list, but not create their own bookmark. Although I
can chmod the bookmarks.html to 777 and (I think) point others' browsers to
access this file rather than their own, as soon as bookmarks.html gets
updated the permissions revert to 755 and ownership changes.
--
Miles Berry
Head, Alton Convent Prep