edubuntu/firefox/pulse audio/flash = unusable

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:05:04 BST 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Philipp Hanselmann wrote:

> john schrieb:
> > I've followed  the Pulse Audio/Revolution Linux howto, fiddled with ESD
> > and ALSA, etc. but no dice. if anyone can point me to a known working
> > solution for flash9/sound/edubuntu 7.04 I'd be very pleased.

I would be inclined to use the packages mentioned below rather than build
your own from subversion which seems to be the suggested method there.
It's just not clear to me how well tested and/or volatile the SVN version
is in.

> Install these 2 packages, after that, flash including sound should work.
>
> apt-get install  flashplugin-nonfree
> apt-get install libflashsupport
>
> Edubuntu takes as default the soundserver pulseaudio. Just aktivate the
> sound in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf like this:
>
> SOUND = True

I can echo that the above is all I did and it worked for me.  I don't think
you can use apt-get to install libflashsupport though, as it's not
available in feisty.  There is a debian package linked from the FAQ though:

   https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ#head-9eab8b3fa984d1b72c777b67a5bb557646e5946b

A few questions that might tell us more:

 - Does sound work okay from other applications (eg totem)?
 - Does sound work at all with flash, ie is it unstable or just not working
   at all?