Fix for x11vnc running without password w/fl_teachertool

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Sep 7 20:49:28 BST 2007

I posted this on the other thread but I want to be sure this is noticed by anyone who
installed fl_teachertool.  There was a bug that x11vnc was starting up on the clients
without the need for a password and any user on the network could scan/find a client and
control without any authentication.  The fix is very easy.  Since Robert's instructions
already had us copy the .vnc/passwd file to /opt/ltsp/i386/root/.vnc/passwd we only need
to make one change to fix things.  In /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.local make the line to start
x11vnc read like so:

x11vnc -display :6 -rfbauth /root/.vnc/passwd -forever -shared -loop &

Then reboot your clients and all will be well.  I didn't test this with the Broadcast or
Spotlight features, but as it works with mOnitor and Control I assume things will work
just fine.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department