Thin client problems

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Sep 7 16:23:50 BST 2007

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:01:17 +0200, Kai Wüstermann wrote
> Moin Dave!
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 06.09.2007, 12:58 -0600 schrieb Dave Cabot:
>
> > 3) I've got the x11vnc installed and running on the clients and I can view
> > them from the thin client manager, but when I click on Share Screen nothing
> > happens.

Follow the below instructions to install Robert's fl_teachertool.  I think you'll be
very happy with it. Jim

1. Setup x11vnc on clients:

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
apt-get update
apt-get install x11vnc
vi /etc/rc.local
x11vnc -display :6 -forever -shared -bg

# I didn't have to do the following since I had already moved K99rc.local to get
cd /etc/rc2.d
mv K99rc.local S99rc.local

2. Download fl-tt source and install

wget http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/fl_teachertool-041-ltsp5.tar.gz

apt-get install build-essential libfltk1.1 libfltk1.1-dev libxpm-dev vnc4server
xtightvncviewer zlib1g-dev libjpeg-dev xscreensaver

tar -zxvf fl_teachertool-041-ltsp5.tar.gz
cd Fl_TeacherTool-0.41
sudo make && make install

sudo chmod +x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

sudo vim /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver

*mode:                  random

replace the word "random" with "blank" on the line that matched the above (no quotes)

3. Download and install vnc-reflector

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-reflector/

tar -zxvf vnc_reflector-1.2.4.tar.gz
cd vnc_reflector
sudo make
sudo cp vncreflector /usr/bin

4. Create vncuser on server and .vnc tree

sudo adduser vncuser
answer user options and set password

5. Logout and login with new vncuser, then run vnc4server

/usr/bin/vnc4server

Kill vnc4server

vim /home/vncuser/.vnc/xstartup

Uncomment the following 2 lines:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Logout vncuser

6. Set vnc password and copy .vnc

sudo /usr/bin/vncpasswd
sudo cp -a /home/vncuser/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/

7. Run fl_teachertool and play away

sudo fl_teachertool