how to restrict network printouts

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 6 17:29:55 BST 2007

That's pretty cool info on the print approval queue. Think you could
put that up on a wiki page? Maybe under
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuRecipes/ ?

-Jordan

On 9/6/07, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007, Serdar Dolphin wrote:
>
> > I work at elementary school and we proudly use edubuntu in labs. my
> > question is HOW to restrict users to printouts?
> >
> > lets say each user will have 100 pages quota for a month or period of
> > time.  since they are in limit they cant print more...
>
> The first thing you need to do is pick your model, some people
>
>  - use absolute monthly quotas
>  - allow students to print to a queue but require a teacher to allow each
>    print job -- cups can do this out of the box.
>  - some other variant.
>
> I have to admit I've never used quotas, though I have had print jobs queued
> for approval.
>
> Queueing print jobs for approval can be done by adding this line:
>
>         Option job-hold-until indefinite
>
> to the stanza for a given printer in /etc/cups/printers.conf.  You then
> restart cups (system->administration->services) and jobs should start
> queuing.  To approve jobs, someone in the cupsys group must login to the
> cups webpage on the server
>
>         http://localhost:631
>
> and look under "jobs".
>
> This page seems to describe a simple way to do quotas:
>
>         http://linux.unimelb.edu.au/server/course/fc3/cups.html
>
> although if you need more, the PyKota quota add-on for CUPS provides more
> powerful quota systems for CUPS.
>
>         http://www.pykota.com/
>         http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Printing/PyKota-Print-Quota-System-5421.shtml
>
> The Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) documentation is here:
>
>         http://www.cups.org/documentation.php
>
> To get the most out of CUPS you may need to be willing to carefully edit
> config files in /etc/cups/ as some of the graphical configuration tools
> don't support all of the features.
>
> Gavin

"That's all very well in practice, but will it ever work in theory?" -- G. Hill
"A tidy laboratory means a lazy chemist." -- Jöns Jacob Berzelius