Beta Fl_TeacherTool for Edubuntu

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 5 16:56:06 BST 2007

Well, I gave it a whirl.  I can run TeacherTool and see a list of logged in users and
the ip of the terminal they are at.  However I can not view processes, monitor, control,
etc.  I assume I have missed a few things.  The only step from below I performed in the
client chroot is step 1 (I took the different links and emails and tried to put a full
list together in the order I did them), everything else was done on the server.  I have
not rebooted the server, only my test client.

Any tips on where things went wrong?

1. Setup x11vnc on clients:

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/apt/sources.list
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
apt-get update
apt-get install x11vnc
vi /etc/rc.local
x11vnc -display :6 -forever -shared -bg

# I didn't have to do the following since I had already moved K99rc.local to get
cd /etc/rc2.d
mv K99rc.local S99rc.local

2. Download fl-tt source and install

wget http://www3.telus.net/public/robark/Fl_TeacherTool/fl_teachertool-041-ltsp5.tar.gz

apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install libfltk1.1 libfltk1.1-dev
apt-get install libxpm-dev     for pixmaps
apt-get install vnc4server
apt-get install xtightvncviewer
apt-get install zlib1g-dev
apt-get install libjpeg-dev
apt-get install xscreensaver

tar -zxvf fl_teachertool-041-ltsp5.tar.gz
cd Fl_TeacherTool-0.41
sudo make && make install

sudo chmod +x /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

sudo vim /etc/X11/app-defaults/XScreenSaver

*mode:                  random

replace the word "random" with "blank" on the line that matched the above (no quotes)

3. Download and install vnc-reflector

wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-reflector/

tar -zxvf vnc_reflector-1.2.4.tar.gz
cd vnc_reflector
sudo make
sudo cp vncreflector /usr/bin

4. Create vncuser on server and .vnc tree

sudo adduser vncuser
answer user options and set password

5. Logout and login with new vncuser, then run vnc4server

/usr/bin/vnc4server

Kill vnc4server

vim /home/vncuser/.vnc/xstartup

Uncomment the following 2 lines:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Logout vncuser

6. Set vnc password and copy .vnc

sudo /usr/bin/vncpasswd
sudo cp -a /home/vncuser/.vnc /opt/ltsp/i386/root/

7. Run fl_teachertool and play away

sudo fl_teachertool