how to setup linux software raid 10

Denis Melnikov dmelnik at regent.ru
Wed Sep 5 08:17:30 BST 2007

> I managed to get RAID working partially. It took me a while
> to figure out how to do it.
> RAID doesn't come up as an option on the initial screen, so I
> thought I would document what I did for others who wonder how
> to access the RAID function from the installer.
>
> 1. I got to the partition stage of the installation (on the
> standard install).
> 2. For each of my 4 disks I created a partition.
> 3. I selected each parttion one by one and set it as physical
> partition for RAID.
> Once the disks are assigned as RAID, the setup RAID option
> appears on the main screen.
> 4. Select Setup RAID,
> 5. Assign RAID 1 to the first two drives, with on spare.
> 6. Do the same for the next pair of drives.
> At this point it is possible to set up LVM. But I want to do
> RAID 0 on the 2 RAID 1 devices.
> It doesn't seem possible to do this from the installation
> partition manager.
>
> How can I take my pairs of RAID1s and make them into RAID10?
> Can I continue the installation setting up LVM one of the
> RAID1s then once the system is setup run mdadm to make a
> raid0 out of the two raid pairs?

Yes. You can make up a volume of several partitions including
RAID ones.

Make sure you have /boot on a separate RAID1 partition,
because GRUB cannot load from LVM prepared one.

> Or is there a better way?

Can you make a RAID partition for RAID0 over previously
prepared RAID1 partition? Unfortunately, I cannot try it now.

Denis