edubuntu-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 10

Javier Tibau jatb86 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:11:43 BST 2007

I'm very sorry, in the excitement writting I forgot to put some of the more
essential info first. So here it goes:

Network Setup:

One Linksys WRT54G connected to the school campus' network (providing
internet). The internal address is 192.168.0.2. The dns the router gives
when DHCP is enable are 200.9.176.5 and 192.188.59.2. We have a wireless
network which I'm currently accesing with static IP.

One Linksys 24 port switch with 4 Gigabit ports. The server (and sometimes
my laptop) is connected to the gigabit ports. The thin clients (not so thin,
I'm using a core 2 duo pcs for testing :D) are connected to the other 100
mbps ports.

The Edubuntu server handles DHCP, I pretty much left it at defaults. It's IP
address is 192.168.0.1. Router 192.168.0.2 and the DNS servers mentioned.

Here is the dhcp.conf that works for the thin clients:

****************************
authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
  option domain-name "example.com";
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
  option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
  option routers 192.168.0.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
  }
  else{
    filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
  }
  option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
}
****************************

I think, the problem is that, while the thin clients need the router to be
192.168.0.1 (in dhcp.conf). The regular PCs need it to be 192.168.0.2 (the
linksys router). So here is the modification to the previous dhcp.conf

****************************
authoritative;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.20 192.168.0.250;
  option domain-name-servers 200.9.176.5 , 192.188.59.2;
  option broadcast-address 192.168.0.255;
  option routers 192.168.0.2;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
    filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
  }
  else{
    filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
  }
  option root-path "192.168.0.1:/opt/ltsp/i386";
}

If I use the latter, the thin clients won't boot. They'll stop and send a
message saying like the one in this thread
If I put the original file, everything works and my thin clients have
internet again.

I'll keep trying, and if anything works, I'll let you know what I was doing
wrong...

Javier