how to setup linux software raid 10

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 22:31:28 BST 2007

I managed to get RAID working partially. It took me a while to figure out
how to do it.
RAID doesn't come up as an option on the initial screen, so I thought I
would document what I did for others who wonder how to access the RAID
function from the installer.

1. I got to the partition stage of the installation (on the standard
install).
2. For each of my 4 disks I created a partition.
3. I selected each parttion one by one and set it as physical partition for
RAID.
Once the disks are assigned as RAID, the setup RAID option appears on the
main screen.
4. Select Setup RAID,
5. Assign RAID 1 to the first two drives, with on spare.
6. Do the same for the next pair of drives.
At this point it is possible to set up LVM. But I want to do RAID 0 on the 2
RAID 1 devices.
It doesn't seem possible to do this from the installation partition manager.

How can I take my pairs of RAID1s and make them into RAID10?
Can I continue the installation setting up LVM one of the RAID1s then once
the system is setup run mdadm to make a raid0 out of the two raid pairs? Or
is there a better way?

I was thinking of setting up one 320GB RAID10 drive with one LV and using
the guided partitioning within the LV. Would that be a reasonable approach?

Thanks,
Krsnendu dasa