whoops...got cut off...was the revisit spec for Hardy

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 09:25:21 BST 2007

Hi David,

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007, David Trask wrote:

> Please pardon my ignorance, but will the system know <username> or is
> this something we have to define somewhere else?  Or should we be trying
> to find the UID and use that?  If <username> will work...that's
> great...or if there's an easy way to know who's logged in...that would
> work.

Apologies, I'd forgotten you use LDAP.  If set up correctly, both pkill and
killall should be able to look up the processes associated with usernames
regardless of where they are stored (LDAP, /etc/passwd, etc).  I think the
lookup is handled by libc which (again I think) should be looking in
/etc/nsswitch.conf to find out what databases to use for the lookup.

In short, if ps and top can look up the usernames, so should pkill and
killall be able.  If not, there's something wrong in your ldap setup.

You can obviously test this pretty easily.