We really need to revisit this spec for Hardy Heron

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Sun Sep 2 19:44:59 BST 2007

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LDMrcScripts
>
> place in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/S10cleaner
>
> Off the top of my head (not tested)
>
> #
> # Session script to clean up previous session
> # WARNING!  WILL KILL ANY CONCURRENT USER LOGINS
> #
>
> PROCSTOKILL="Xsession gconfd firfox tuxpaint etc etc"
>
> for PROC in ${PROCSTOKILL}; do
>     ssh -S ${LDM_SOCKET} ${LDM_SERVER} "pkill -9 ${PROC}"
> done
>
> Scott

I'm no expert here, but I think the problem is deeper than kill tuxpaint, etc.  Say with
the problem I was having with Firefox freezing the client, the only way to fix the
client is to manually power it off (especially if I'm just a student in a lab and not an
administrator).  When the client freezes and is powered off, ALL processes are left
running.  This means the ssh connection, python, bonobo, and everything else related to
a user logging in.  So a script that fixes this would have to kill all pre-existing
processes owned by a user no matter what they had running upon login to another client.
 Most of the time a student is in a lab and in a hurry, so if a problem happens they
just move to another client already booted and log back in.  So this would have to be a
script that can kill all processes for that user between when they enter their username
and password and and presented a desktop.

I don't know the order of how things are loaded, but isn't there a script folder that
can run things on login that (maybe that is the /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/share/ldm/rc.d/ you
reference above) would kill all processes owned by the user logging in before starting a
new session, or at that point is it too late to kill everything?

Scott would it be possible to modify your above script to grep all processes owned by
the logging in user and pkill -9 them?

Jim