We really need to revisit this spec for Hardy Heron

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sun Sep 2 16:43:00 BST 2007

Scott Balneaves <sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca> writes:
>On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 12:50:30AM -0400, David Trask wrote:
>> My case in point is the fact that I'm having issues with Tuxpaint....I
>now
>> have a bazillion instances of Tuxpaint lingering around.  I have to
>reboot
>> to rid myself of all of them.
>
>Why?
>
>pkill tuxpaint.
  Doh!  killall tuxpaint didn't work....

>>  If we had something that would purge these
>> processes for us like the K12LTSP purge users script....although its a
>bit
>> of a hack....it would make life in the "real world" of sysadmins....a
>LOT
>> easier and happier.  I'm advocating for addressing this issue.
>
>Why not just grab the purge users script, put it in the appropriate place,
>and see what happens, and let us know?

Matt, I think is doing that....let you know soon

>> opinion this is something that cannot wait.  I'm seeing it as a bit of a
>> step backward for me in the move from K12LTSP to Edubuntu.  I'm hoping I
>> can find some way to deal with this in the meantime.  I'm totally open
>> ideas and suggestions.

The issue is....kid does somethign stupid and quits mid-session....turns
terminal off...program freezes...etc.   Then when they log back in
again....the system still has that lingering process(es) from the previous
session.  Mozilla used to be a big problem in the old days....nowadays
Firefox can cause issues.  It still sees the default profile as still
being in use.  The purge users script is essentially set up to purge the
old processes as the user logs in.  Do you think this is something that
could be done "PreSession"?  Something along the lines of....whoever is
logging in "now"....kill off all previous processes associated with them.
I believe Eric did it with pkill.  Any ideas on how I can run something
like this early enough in the logon process without killing the current
session?