gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Oct 31 21:56:30 GMT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:17:37AM -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I have actually always set up LTSP servers with a single NIC setup.
> Easy way, make sure you only have one NIC in the server, during
> setup just enter in all the IP information you want later (We use a
> 10.6.0.0/16 network here, so I enter in my IP of 10.6.1.155 netmask
> of 255.255.0.0, gateway of 10.6.0.1) then the installation knows
> exactly what you want and things just work when you start up.  I
> love it this way.  I use my Edubuntu server serve dhcp to my entire
> network.  It also handles things so that my Mac OSX machines can
> still net-install, I can boot some machines in kiosk mode or
> standard thin client, etc.

Sorry, I fear I'm missing something basic here.

I like the idea of the single NIC solution since that would simplify
wiring and mean the server could more easily be separated from the
clients on our existing LAN.

But, our LAN has an existing dhcp server, which is not setup to handle
the network boot.  So, I assume, we need dhcp running on another
machine (the ltsp server) to boot the thin clients.  Correct?

But, would that also not require setting up the existing dhcp to
ignore the thin clients dhcp requests?

I guess I'm not seeing how to setup the server with a single NIC with
and existing dhcp server (if that dhcp server can't be modified).

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org