gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:20:12 GMT 2007

Hi,
   I recently reinstalled my server system to 64bit so I have recent
knowledge of what needs to be modified to make a 2nic setup work with normal
and thin client computers being able to get internet access. I'll paste my
setup files here:

/etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.42
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
installed
        dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1 80.58.61.250

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
    address 192.168.0.254
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    up iptables-restore < /etc/ltsp/nat.conf

Then I simply followed the thinclienthowtonat file in the edubuntu wikis...
Finally, and perhaps this is where there are issues from other people, I set
up shorewall to masquarade from eth0 to eth1... by setting up a file called
"masq" containing the following:

#INTERFACE              SUBNET          ADDRESS         PROTO   PORT(S)
IPSEC
eth0                    eth1
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES ABOVE THIS LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE

Of course you should probably set up your rules and all that, but there are
some good examples on shorewall's site and various howto pages on the net.
In any case, with that you will get it working with 2 nics guaranteed...
Setting up a local dns server will also improve connection times drastically
in the normal client computers...

Kind Regards,
David Van Assche