gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Oct 31 13:17:37 GMT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:48:55 GMT, Jay Perez wrote
> Philippe,
> I spent several weeks trying to get my Edubuntu server configured to allow
> both thin-client and non-Linux machines to be able to access the Internet.
> Several people on this and other forums tried to help me but the answer was so
> simple I just didn't get the point they were trying to help me understand. I
> eventually just reinstalled the software from scratch using the single network
> card topology that Gavin refers to in his note below and with all devices and
> the server plugged into one switch. The switch was plugged into my cable modem
> which was connected to the Internet. The only configuration changes I had to
> do after reinstalling Edubuntu was to setup my router to NOT provide DHCP
> (This is done by the Edubuntu server) and to make sure the Gateway address on
> the server was set to the IP address of my router. (Actually, I set my
> router's IP address to match the Default Gateway address on the server which I
> believe is 192.168.0.1) In this setup, the router is providing NAT services
> and a hardware firewall. (I don't recall having to do anything on the server
> to prevent it from also providing a firewall ...)  It was also providing
> wireless access for my laptop. This worked wonderfully and I could then boot
> any PC on the network normally as a full client PC, or, using the network
> bootup routine to boot as a thin-client off the Edubuntu server. Ohhh, the
> rapture ! All the computers in the house could get to the Internet without any
> problems and I could share files across all the machines on the network using SAMBA.
> The only significant problem I had afterwards was people's profiles getting
> corrupted. I think this was caused by trying to log into two different
> machines with the same user login. The symptom I experienced was not being
> able to logoff or shutdown from that account once it was damaged. I'd love to
> be able to take credit for figuring any of this out but all I really did was
> plug in the disk and make a few very small changes people told me to make.
> There are some very talented people out there...  Whoever figured all this
> stuff out and did all this programming is WAY smart !!! Hope your project goes
> well. Jay

I have actually always set up LTSP servers with a single NIC setup.  Easy way, make sure
you only have one NIC in the server, during setup just enter in all the IP information
you want later (We use a 10.6.0.0/16 network here, so I enter in my IP of 10.6.1.155
netmask of 255.255.0.0, gateway of 10.6.0.1) then the installation knows exactly what
you want and things just work when you start up.  I love it this way.  I use my Edubuntu
server serve dhcp to my entire network.  It also handles things so that my Mac OSX
machines can still net-install, I can boot some machines in kiosk mode or standard thin
client, etc.

Along the lines of default installation, I like the single NIC default better.  I also
think that as things grow in popularity this will be more common than the dual nic
install as users won't be adding their own setup to an existing network, LTSP will "be"
the network.

I also have to say I "love" webmin.  It makes its way to every server I install.
Nothing wrong with a GUI.  I do have to admit I still find myself at the command line
more and more, but it is great to have the GUI available when needed and for other
admins who aren't quite as far on the super geek path :-)

Jim