gutsy and regular PCs on edubuntu lan

Philippe Rousselot ubuntu at alcatorda.com
Wed Oct 31 08:04:39 GMT 2007

Hi Gavin,

Gavin McCullagh a écrit :
> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Philippe Rousselot wrote:
>

>> It is apparently impossible (out of the box) to get regular PCs
>> connected to the edubuntu lan to access internet. it is only possible
>> for thin clients.
>>

> There are (as I understand it) two possible network topologies for
> edubuntu:
>
> 1. Single network interface.  Edubuntu and all thin clients sit on the main
>    network like all other machines.  Edubuntu runs dhcp for all machines,
>    and thin client services for thin clients.

yes and according to Jay it seems to work well.

> 2. Two network interfaces.  Edubuntu sits on the main network, thin clients
>    sit behind it, connected by a separate switch to its second network
>    interface.
>
> In [1], all machines can see the internet directly.  In [2], you can put
> your desktops directly on the main network and they will get internet
> access _or_ put them behind the edubuntu server which must then have
> ip_forwarding switched on.

I did it setting up  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward at one, but it does
not seem to be enought

> It's possible the above situation has changed recently.  I'm open to
> corrections if it has.
>

>> remarque: as the primary vocation for edubuntu is to be used in schools,
>> it is quite domageable not to get out of the box  :
>>     1. parental control with GUI to modify white/black list
>>     2. access to internet for regular PCs connected to the server
>>

> What you seem to be describing here is a firewall/content filtering server.
> Edubuntu (again, as I understand it) provides a desktop OS for schools, not
> a firewall.  You probably don't want to plug things together as though it
> were the firewall and it doesn't attempt to provide content filtering
> (which is usually best done at/near the firewall).
>
> I would suggest a firewall/filtering product is required for this need.
> Maybe edubuntu should try to provide it, I don't know, but the current
> product is really not aimed at that.

yes, but ...

edubuntu is supposed to be a easy self contained system that non IT
people can use and install. Setting up a firewall/filtering system is
another ball game way above the level of knowledge of most teachers I know,
and having a parental control in school is something compulsory

that's why I say not having it by default is a bug.

have a good day or night

Philippe