URGENT: Can't go live with Feisty or Gutsy-Please help.

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Oct 30 18:42:22 GMT 2007

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>
>> Gutsy: SMBLDAP doesn't work
>>             Not sure about the printing.
>
> If this is the smbldap setup script, why not debug it?  It really is
> something most people do by hand but in order to make life easier for
> novices, Matt Oquist wrote a script to automate it.
>
> I'd suggest stepping through the script running each command by hand and
> seeing how things go.  This will also give you a better understanding of
> how things work.

I am guessing that this list is a mailing list for Edubuntu *users*, who
may at times be novices.  I hope so, at least, because that means more
newcomers are joining the family.  I would think that debugging a
script, line by line, would be informative for someone thinking about
becoming an Edubuntu developer.

For those of us following the smbldap installer script's evolution on
the K12LTSP mailing list, it came a long way fast.  Forgive me for
expecting more from its implementation into Edubuntu.  I read this in
January from Matt

> 6. Grab http://majen.net/smbldap/smbldap-installer-latest.tgz and
>    follow the instructions on http://majen.net/smbldap/ to set up
>    a Samba/LDAP server OR to configure Edubuntu to authenticate to
>    another LDAP server (talk to me if you sent up an Edubuntu server
>    to authenticate elsewhere).
>    THANKFULLY, this will no longer be necessary when Feisty is
>    released, as smbldap-tools will be integrated into the installer
>    and ajmitch's authconfig tool will be included for LDAP client
>    configuration.

But it seems that it is still necesary to use the script unless you are
smarter than the average user.  Debian's smbldap-tools package is
available, but it always has been.  The automagic of the script appears
to be in limbo.  I guess that it is still safe to use, or that one would
be better off following the Debian Readme in /usr/share/docs/smbldap-tools/.

> Gavin

--scott