The 4GB problem

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 30 15:44:58 GMT 2007

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 30.10.2007, 23:11 +0900 schrieb nigel barker:
> David Van Assche wrote:
> >
> > Anyway I would love to know a better way to make workstation thin
> > clients using LTSP instead... any ideas?
>
> This is possible in Debian-edu/Skolelinux. They call it "diskless
> workstations" and I've been using it for over  a year with great
> success.
right, there is a document (debian specific
though) /usr/share/doc/ltsp-server/workstation that explains how to set
up a locally running kiosk with a complete desktop to ....

for ubuntu you would have to change
chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 tasksel install desktop
chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

(note that the copy_dirs and rw_dirs variables are not used anymore in
gutsy)

then you need to make sure the home dir gets mounted from the server and
you need have some kind of network auth mechanism the client can attach
to.

since we're still missing the network auth mechanism (the server team is
working hard to get something standardized going for hardy which we will
use in edubuntu then) we dont have fat clients implemented yet...
so your mileage may vary if you build such a setup yourself but its
surely possible to get going.

ciao
	oli