Setting up Edubuntu server and thin clients - help needed

cra1g at foroz.com cra1g at foroz.com
Sun Oct 28 01:21:52 GMT 2007

Dear List

I hope you might be able to assist me with an Edubuntu 7.10 setup. I
will outline what I am attempting to do, please note that I am somewhat
new to Ubuntu and far from familiar with the 'techie' side of Linux.  I
initially decided to have a look at Edubuntu as it is an application/OS
focused on the educational sector I thought that there would be a good
amount of information available on setup/running - sadly I have not been
able to find sufficient information. I thought going with Edubuntu
Server would be easier than trying to setup Ubuntu Server. I like what I
have read about Edubuntu 7.10 and would like to setup a small client group.

I am interested in using Edubuntu at home, I have a two old computers
which I would like to setup as thin clients, on a network. I am looking
for some type of setup guide on how to set up the server and thin
client/s. To date I have found a few articles on the web, however for me
they do not seem to be complete as what to do from beginning to end -
these guides are -

http://www.edubuntu.org/GettingStarted
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/linux_terminal_server
http://yogharp.wordpress.com/2007/03/01/class-room-ltsp-with-edubuntu/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPBootingClientsWithoutPxe
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483539&highlight=edubuntu
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanielCarrera

-- Background
------------------------
I have an existing network connected to a router for ADSL (broadband). I
use Ubuntu 7.10, my partner uses Windows 2000, we have an old computer
as a file server (677mhz, 128 ram) (for central file storage) I would
like to replace the existing old file storage server with an Edubuntu
server - which will act as a central file (storage) server  and also be
the server for the thin clients and also be a  desktop computer.

Existing equipment - router/hub is Dlink dsl-504, I understand that it
allocates dhcp ip addresses and it's is set as the gateway 192.168.0.1.
I also have a another 10/100 hub.

-- Specifications - proposed Edubuntu
 > Server - P2.8mhz (dual processor) Intel -  1Gb ram - 32mb APG video -
2 network (1 onboard and 1card) - CDRW - no floppy - 60GB HD (I
recognise this is too small, but it should let me get the system up and
running/tested.
 > Thin Clients - 2x 677mhz  - 128 ram - network card (not on the mother
board, they are cards) - hard disk - CDRW - floppy

-- Help needed
------------------------
 From what I have read of the above guides I am confused!
 > How do I set up the sever, do I just load Edubuntu 7.10, will it do
all the server setup for the thin clients?
 > How do I set up the network cables to the two different network cards?
 > Do I need to set any ip addresses?
 > What do I need to do for the server to recognise the thin clients?
(should I be using a cross over cable from the router to the sever?)
 > How can I get the clients to boot off/from the server
 > Do I need to create user accounts on the Server for the thin client
logins?
 > I'm sure that there are other issues that I have not yet thought
of... that some one who has set this up can identity

Does anyone know of a set of instructions that would meet my needs on
how to setup the server, what settings need to be made for the thin
clients to boot from the server and how to setup the thin clients.

All assistance appreciated, please remember that I am not a techie, I
have installed Ubuntu and used the terminal before. If some one can help
me get this up and running I am happy to write it up and put it on the
web to assist others - I am certain that I am not the only one trying to
get Edubuntu network up and running.

Regards and thanks
Craig
Brisbane Au