Booting i386 Clients from AMD64 Server

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Oct 25 04:15:32 BST 2007

I wanted to share my experience booting i386 clients from an AMD64
server.  Mixed results so far.  I went with this documentation

just do the following:

sudo rm -r /opt/ltsp/amd64
sudo ltsp-build-client --arch i386

that I found here

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2006-August/000214.html

but the clients would not boot all the way.  What I mean is that they
get an ip, load the kernel, the splash screen appears, then it
disappears and I have a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the
screen.

I noticed these lines from running "ps ax" on the server

/bin/sh /usr/sbin/nbdrootd /opt/ltsp/images/amd64.img
/bin/nbd-server 0 /opt/ltsp/images/amd64.img -r -C /dev/null

but saw nothing about i386.  Reboots did not fix it.  Either changing my
/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to make 192.168.0.254(the server) my gateway, or
just restarting the network, allowed clients to boot.  I also noticed
these lines from running "ps ax"

/usr/sbin/nbdrootd /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img
/bin/nbd-server 0 /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img -r -C /dev/null

So, a P4 client runs great.  Amazing, in fact.  However, a PIII client
boots almost all the way, but hangs here

[59.2811022] request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-464c

I am so close, and I must say that I love Edubuntu 7.10.  Exquisitely
well-done.

--scott