Edubuntu Ideas, Advocacy, and so forth

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Oct 18 19:05:20 BST 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 21:15:52 PM -0400, David Trask
(dtrask at vcsvikings.org) wrote:

> I have a bazillion ideas for things that we need to work on for
> Edubuntu.  Not many are programming so much as marketing, advocacy,
> support and so forth.

If you try to market and advocate Edubuntu, or any FOSS for that
matter, among average principals, teachers and parents, that is the
people who should approve or request it, starting from... Edubuntu and
how wonderful FOSS is, most of them will just shut their brain and
ignore you.

My suggestion is "forget" focusing on software: concentrate instead on
the actual issues that average parents care about and try to speak
directly, but almost exclusively of those issues, to as many parents
(and yes, teachers too) as possible.

For an example of what I mean by "actual issues that average parents
care about", you are welcome to read, use and mention around this:

	http://digifreedom.net/node/74

Another example may be the comment about the "official values of the
Bismarck Public School District" at http://digifreedom.net/node/94

Hope this helps. Any comment is welcome.

While we're at this, I also always welcome submissions of "Teachers
and parents who fight the Digital Dangers"
(http://digifreedom.net/node/100) and Digitally Free Schools
(http://digifreedom.net/node/55)

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti
--
Your own civil rights and the quality of your life heavily depend on
how software is used *around* you:    http://digifreedom.net/node/84