Some more details about LTSP

S. J. van Harmelen svh at dds.nl
Wed Oct 17 15:13:13 BST 2007

Could someone please give me a document that describes how LTSP 5 works?

I'm used to be working with Thinstation (http://www.thinstation.org) but
for a number of reasons I'am looking for some other software. The LTSP
implementation of Edubuntu seems the way to go, but I have a hard time
getting my head around the basics of how LTSP works.

I did already visit some sites and google'd a bit, but I don't seem to
find the info I need.

This is how I think it works so far:

1) Booting with PXE you get some files from the tftpserver to start your
thinclient with. I guess a vmlinux and a initrd.
2) While booting some scripts in the initrd mount / to the i386.img on
the server and the rest is loaded from there.

But then after your client is booted, does it needs the server it booted
from in any way? Yes of course for reading the i386.img file. But for
anything else? All the scripts that run while or after booting (for
setting up local device support for example) then run locally on the
client right?

As far as I understand, you then have a completely independent client
running except for the fact that your / is mounted to a image somewhere
else. But if you would extract the i386.img file to a local disk and
adjusted some start-up scripts in the initrd you could (theoretically)
boot the same client locally. Right (not that I want this btw, but just
making sure I understand correctly)?

Right, then the next part which I realy want to understand is how local
device support works in LTSP 5. I found this doc
(http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LTSP-42-LocalDev) but as you
can see this is for LTSP4.2 and not for LTSP5. Could someone please
point me to a doc with this kind of info for LTSP5?

My goal with LTSP is to build a rdesktop or Citrix client with local
device support (including printers). And since the needed rdesktop
scripts are already put in by Edubuntu, I will start with getting
rdesktop working.

Many thanks! And sorry for the long post :)

Sander