lockup on one machine

alfred at nationalpriorities.org alfred at nationalpriorities.org
Mon Oct 15 14:09:14 BST 2007

So this is odd to me.
One machine in the office had a lock up.
I replaced
The machine
the wiring
the switch at the main server
the switch in that office
the monitor
the keyboard
the mouse
the surge protector
and still that one machine has trouble.
Who ever logs in to use it will have a screen freeze within 1 hour or so.  But if those people log in at other machines in the office they are fine.
None of the other machines in the office (6 of em) running this same setup have trouble at all.
One thought on my end is that there is a file call /tmp/fileXXXXX <-random letters
And maybe since the first crash this was not cleaned and now when this machine logs in it by chance keeps using the same tmp file (which I now deleted and will see how it goes)
Any other thoughts.
Al