Edubuntu overheating on laptop

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fresno.gov
Wed Oct 10 15:22:10 BST 2007

I've got a fully updated 7.04 Feisty installed on an old Gateway 450SX4 laptop which is running well with the exception of overheating.
The fan is clean, but I still have to prop the sucker up on some coasters or something to maximize air flow so it doesn't keep shutting down on my 4yr old.
I've had multiple flavors of linux installed before (Mandriva, SuSE at least) and Winwoes without heat issues.

I noticed a critical bug post on the ubuntu site regarding this issue but couldn't find a quick workaround to make it go for now. Sounds like it is a 2.60.20 kernel issue with acpi.
Anyone had this issue and know of a quick fix or am I stuck overheating my hardware if I keep Edubuntu?

-Stephen